McCarron says 36ers to respond against Phoenix
Adelaide 36ers captain Mitch McCarron says his side will rebound when South East Melbourne arrive at Brett Maher Court on Friday night.
McCarron has been pleased with how the team has responded after last round’s 82-72 loss to Tasmania JackJumpers at a sold out Adelaide Entertainment Centre.
“I think we have had a good week, obviously we are disappointed with the JackJumpers result and I think we have bounced back well, we have some competitive practices and the boys will be ready,” McCarron told media on Thursday.
Import swingman Trey Kell has been ruled out for a second straight game with a calf injury.
- COACHES CORNER: Bruton expects tough battle
- ONLINE AUCTION: NBL24 Indigenous jersey
- SCOUTING REPORT: 36ers ready for Phoenix showdown
The 189cm point guard said his side has to be prepared to do whatever it takes to get back on the winners’ list Friday night.
“Everyone needs to be ready, you never know when you’re name will get called, guys get hurt, guys get in foul trouble, you got to always stay ready,” McCarron said.
“We have to keep chipping away, our fight back has been real all season.”
Friday night’s match will see the return of seven-time club MVP Daniel Johnson to Brett Maher Court, who will be in a Phoenix uniform as an in jury replacement for Gorjak Gak.
“I’m happy for him that he gets to keep playing the game that he loves, I’m sure the crowd will recognise him for everything he has done for this club and he deserves that,” McCarron said.
“We are really good mates, so I’m happy he is playing ball again.
“I’m sure he will set a really good screen on me, and we will go from there.
“But, at the end of the day, we are trying to get the win.”
Adelaide: Mitch McCarron, DJ Vasiljevic, Sunday Dech, Jacob Wiley, Isaac Humphries
South East Melbourne: Gary Browne, Will Cummings, Craig Moller, Mitch Creek, Alan Williams
Played 16, Adelaide 8, South East Melbourne 8
LAST FIVE MATCHES
October 19, 2023
South East Melbourne Phoenix 102 def Adelaide 36ers 85 at Adelaide Entertainment Centre
December 24, 2022
Adelaide 36ers 94 def South East Melbourne Phoenix 88 at Adelaide Entertainment Centre
December 11, 2022
South East Melbourne Phoenix 102 def Adelaide 36ers 84 at John Cain Arena
October 30, 2022
South East Melbourne Phoenix 103 def Adelaide 36ers 98 in overtime at John Cain Arena
April 22, 2022
South East Melbourne Phoenix 94 def Adelaide 36ers 91 at John Cain Arena
STATS THAT MATTER
- Adelaide ranks 1st in the league for free throw percentage this season (78.4%).
- Dejan Vasiljevic has made the most free-throws without a miss (16) of any player this season.
- Dejan Vasiljevic has a career average of 18.0 points per game against SE Melbourne - most against any opponent.
- The home team has won 27 of South East Melbourne's last 33 games.
- SE Melbourne ranks 2nd in the league for points per game this season (92.4).
- Phoenix ranks 10th in the league for Q4 opponent points per game this season (24.6).
- Alan Williams is the only player to have recorded a 15-point, 15-rebound game this season.
- Mitch Creek has career averages of 22.2 points and 8.5 rebounds per game against Adelaide - most against any opponent.
- Creek ranks 1st in the league for points in the paint (108) this season.